Welcome!

I am a teacher and aspiring writer, and keep a blog to keep up with writing and document the daily moments that make up my life. Working with my students & travel writing are my biggest passions. People, art, food, wine/spirits, and culture are other writing interests. Thanks for coming by!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

For the Love of Mermaids


Often in Sacramento, I am a little bit at a loss for inspiration. I'm sure it is my own lack of imagination, because, "wherever you go, there you are." Whereas at the coast, I am always inspired by ephemera I find at the beach, the crashing of the waves, the salty sea air, sunsets, and the sheer beauty of the sea, in Sac I have to look a little harder to find things that inspire me. Spring and Fall are beautiful in Sacramento because there's so many trees, and the new blossoms in Spring and changing colors in Fall are really lovely. However, in the day to day life here, it's often a challenge finding true bursts of overwhelming inspiration.
Last night, we experienced something out of the ordinary. We went to the Dive Bar on 10th & K and saw the mermaid. She was swimming in a tank above the bar. Before we went I was initially so excited at the prospect of seeing a mermaid! And then of course I thought, well, it's a girl in a mermaid suit, how cool could it be? But being there was something else. Watching the mermaid swim back and forth was truly enchanting. I would categorize it in the realm of performance art, like moving art/ life. It was truly incredible! Even Rob, the hard sell, ending up loving it. When the mermaid waved and blew kisses, he was sure it was just for HIM!
It brought me back to being 7 years old again, and being truly enchanted with everything. I love having those WOW moments in life. Last night was one of those nights. Long live the mermaids!

No comments: