Welcome!

I am a teacher and aspiring writer, and keep a blog to keep up with writing and document the daily moments that make up my life. Working with my students & travel writing are my biggest passions. People, art, food, wine/spirits, and culture are other writing interests. Thanks for coming by!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!



It's a new year, and a chance to revisit hopes, dreams, and goals. It's a time to take a moment to take pride in strides made over the past year, but also to take account of places in our lives where we still have a lot of room for improvement.
Instead of making a list of resolutions, like I usually do, I am going to focus on one thing each month specifically. For January, health is my focus. Some of the ways I am going to focus on health include: training for the 5K coming up on Jan. 23 by jogging 3 miles at the park 3-4 times a week.
Seeing a nutritionist this Monday. Starting weight watchers this week. Finally trying Zumba this month. Making a point to include more fruits and vegetable in our diet. Getting outside more, and becoming more active in general, even if I'm not doing things that are strictly classified as "working out." Making better choices with food, and making healthy cooking a big priority.
I'm also tackling improving mental health, which is huge, because mental and physical health are so closely intertwined. I am meditating most nights before going to sleep, and saying my prayers. When I start having anxious or scary thoughts about my health, I just stop myself, and say, "Everything is going to be ok." Because it is. I imagine that some people go through way less in life, and some people go through way more. It just is what it is, and it's ok. No more drama, just get on with it. I am up to meet the challenges life sends my way, and I am strong enough to conquer them.

No comments: