Welcome!

I am a teacher and aspiring writer, and keep a blog to keep up with writing and document the daily moments that make up my life. Working with my students & travel writing are my biggest passions. People, art, food, wine/spirits, and culture are other writing interests. Thanks for coming by!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

People & Their Passions


Aaron Callahan brewing his latest batch of Belgian Ale.

Photo by Robert Ossa

Today was a special day. An article I wrote recently was published, and it's been over a year since I've had anything published. But the thrill of getting published is nothing compared to seeing the joy of the people I write about. I wrote about a good friend of ours who makes his own beer, and is really good at it. It's his passion, or one of his passions. And I realized today that writing about people and their passions is one of my favorite things to do.
For one thing, it's so much fun to write about someone doing something they love. Also, the excitement and joy that people have in their passions is contagious. Profiling someone doing what they love is not only fun for the writer and the subject, it's fun for everyone.
Because on some level, people love to see other people happy, and doing what they love. Maybe because it inspires people to follow their own dreams, or maybe just because it is comforting to know that others are doing it, which opens up the possibility for the rest of us to follow in their footsteps.
My friend Aaron didn't become an awesome braumeister overnight. He kept at it for years, not giving up on his dream. And it paid off. He inspires me to not give up on what I love too. One of those things is writing. And so many times along the way I could have given up, but now I am more determined than ever not to give it up, because it's something I love to do.
For the article I wrote on Aaron Callahan, go here.
To people and their passions: keep on keeping on!

No comments: