Welcome!

I am a teacher and aspiring writer, and keep a blog to keep up with writing and document the daily moments that make up my life. Working with my students & travel writing are my biggest passions. People, art, food, wine/spirits, and culture are other writing interests. Thanks for coming by!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why Keeping Dreams Alive is So Important

With Marcella, my hula sister, at our first performance, February 2007.

With Uncle Don at my first hula performance, February 2007.

I am returning to hula tonight and I am so happy about it. The reason I'm so happy is that I've been missing hula classes for the last year or so because of a combination of factors. I was too busy with school. I was wrapped up in my new relationship. Or I couldn't afford it. Or I had other plans on the weekends, and Saturdays used to be when classes were held. But putting off dreams or passions has a high price. Not going to hula last year made me feel like part of me was missing. It's such a big part of who I am. I love listening to Auntie Anuhea talk story with us, and speak pidgin to Uncle Don. I love how Uncle Don (who is in his seventies) still fumbles with the stereo when playing our hula songs, even though he's been working the same stereo for years. Then Auntie gets impatient with him, even though it happens every time. I love how we are an Ohana, a family, and I feel a part of a community, which is so often missing in modern day culture. I love the music, the Hawaiian language, and the dancing. All of is so meaningful to me and adds so much to my life and my happiness. Why is it that we so easily give up the things that make us the most happy? Especially when it's not hurting anyone else? It's so easy to put everything and everyone else first. I'm happy to do that sometimes. But I'm glad that I made the decision not to permanently give up one of the things I love to do most. To hula. Mahalo nui loa.

No comments: